Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ultrasound

Today we had an ultrasound at the start of the 3rd trimester to check up on baby. Since Cory is miserable with an unrelenting cold, he stayed home and I went by myself.

The ultrasound tech confirmed what I figured already....baby's head is down and his or her feet are up in my right rib cage. Now when I feel all those movements, I have a better idea of exactly what I am feeling. So far baby likes to punch my lower right stomach, stick his/her butt out into the left side of my stomach, and kick my right ribs.

Everything looked great today. Baby is measuring right on schedule...due date is still April 21st. Currently Baby is 2lbs, 13oz and measuring in the 50th percentile for size, which is right on track. We saw the baby opening its mouth and swallowing and possibly sucking its thumb at one point, and the ultrasound tech even pointed out hair on Baby's head! 3 months to go!

She got a few profile shots while doing her measurements, including the one below:


She also did another 3D photo, although the one we got last time was a lot cooler since it was a better view and wasn't black and white like this one. Here you can see Baby's face...partially blocked by the placenta on the left, and partially blocked by either an arm or the cord on the right.


I also stayed after the ultrasound to get my glucose test done. In the 3rd trimester, they have you drink an orange flavored glucose drink within 5 minutes, then you get to sit for an hour and do nothing, and then they draw your blood. It kind of tasted like flat orange soda. Everyone complains about how bad the drink tastes, and I usually HATE orange soda, but it really wasn't bad at all. And it helped that it was nice and cold. They are checking for gestational diabetes, which can occur around this time in pregnancy. I'm hoping I pass, because if not, I move on to the 3 hour test. Yikes. An hour was long enough for me.


I felt bad for the lady who went in ahead of me. Her 3 year old daughter was either getting a shot or getting blood drawn, and the mom had her game plan all set to go ahead of time. In the waiting room she was telling her daughter about the surprise gift she had brought for her, that she would get after they were done. Her daughter was excited about the gift and all smiles. When the nurse called them back, the mom quietly explained to the nurse that she hadn't told her daughter exactly what was happening. Exactly 45 seconds later, cue blood curdling screams. This little girl had quite the set of lungs....I'm pretty sure the entire hospital could hear her. She went from hysterical screaming, to yelling for her dad, to telling everyone to "get away", back to just plain screaming. Apparently all thoughts about the surprise gift had disappeared, as you could hear at least 3 nurses and her mom trying to reason with her, but she was having none of it. Made me really excited for when my day comes to get my young child shots. Hopefully I can come up with a better plan...if there is one.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, you were in my thoughts this morning and of course i had to search for the saved email. Bingo right on cue too. Yea those screams for daddy are the worst makes you feel like a heel. mac

    ReplyDelete